Building and finalising our idea
From the 4 ideas that the group took forward, the group decided at the core was an approach to nurture which Falkirk Council should adopt at all levels. The group then worked through an idea framer tool which asked key questions like:
- What need will the idea fulfil?
- How does it meet Gill’s needs?
- What are the benefits to Gill and her colleagues?
- What are the benefits to the young people Gill works with
- How does it work?
- What are the possible barriers?
- How do we overcome them?
- What do we need?
- Who will help us and how?
The group decided the nurture approach should be called ‘Hug in A Mug’, “aiming for a future where everyone adopts the nurturing approach, focusing on filling up other colleagues and young people’s nurture cup. The metaphorical hug at Falkirk Council. A ‘hug in a mug’ (like filling up Gill’s cup)”
A core component of the ‘Hug in A Mug’ approach would be the introduction of Nurture Champions at Falkirk Council. A Nurture Champion would be someone who models nurture to Gill, someone she can bounce ideas around with about the best ways to deliver nurture and also who embeds nurture at all levels.